I mentioned last week that I am able to be a stay @ home wife because my husband and I crunched the numbers and it was within our means. However that doesn’t mean that there cannot be improvements and that we can’t tighten our belts a little more. I feel strongly about contributing to the well being of our household and helping to make our venture a success.
Last week I read the book A Year Of Less by Cait Flanders and I was deeply inspired. I recommend reading the book for yourself but the Ninja’s Notes version is that Cait imposed a one year shopping ban on herself to get ahold of her own bad shopping habits. Her story really resonated with me and as a result I have spent the last few days down a rabbit hole reading personal finance blogs, articles by simple living advocates, as well as budgeting and minimalist websites. After all that reading I feel resolved to endeavor on my own shopping ban. On March 1st I am going to start a three month ban with the option to renew on June 1st. What will this ban look like for me?
- No new cosmetics, lotions, potions etc unless what I already have has been totally used.
- No new books or magazine, note books or stationary.
- No new clothes unless it is to replace something that is necessary and cannot be repaired.
- No new electronics or appliances.
- No new household items like decor, candles or furniture.
- No new craft/sewing/project supplies unless it is for a specific project and then nothing new until that project has been completed.
- No unnecessary beauty treatments such as waxing, nails or pedicures.
- Food shopping – Groceries and basic kitchen supplies as well the occasional eating out for special occasions.
- Toiletries – But only if I can’t make it for myself.
- Cleaning products – But only if I can’t make them.
- Bridesmaid spending – I am standing in a wedding in July 2019 and it is inevitable that I will need a few things for this.
- Gifts – Under $50 for special occasions only.
- Travel – Airbnb’s, gas, and occasionally eating out.
- Any expenses related to Ninja Princess.
- Store bought hair colour – Hey we all have vices we can’t give up.
- To reduce the outgoing money from our home so that my staying home financially viable.
- To be a more mindful consumer.
- To improve my DIY skills.
- To recognize the abundance I already have in my life.
What I Need From You
- Accountability – This is really the most important thing. Having people to be accountable to keeps us honest and mindful.
- Advice – I am always open to suggestions, feedback and recommendations as long as they are given with love and respect.